Saturday, October 27, 2007

Kenny Dorham Research

( Naar de Nederlandse vertaling.)
A few days ago Evette Dorham contacted me with a request for information. She has planned to make a book about her father, Kenny Dorham ( 1924 - 1972 ), who was a well known bebop trumpet player.
She says:
I'm writing a book about my father and I'm gathering photos, audio, video or their memories they have of meeting my dad or seeing his performances of listening to his music. I know he traveled in Europe and I have met fans who have a picture they or a parent took of my dad somewhere in their travels or have an amature recording.

Kenny Dorham, born in Fairfield TX (USA) August 1924 started to play trumpet in some swing orchestras and in the mid 1940s he was part of the band of Billy Eckstine and Dizzy Gillespie - two musicians who played in the new developed bebop style of music. In 1948 and 1949 he played in the Charlie Parker Quintet. In the 1950s he was one of the founders of the Jazz Messengers and played in the Jazz Prophets. He replaced Clifford Brown, who died in a traffic accident, in the Max Roach Quintet. In the 1960s he played in bands with Joe Henderson.

Six weeks ago I posted a contribution about Kenny Dorham's Debut album . Evette wrote about that: Thank you for adding your thoughts on my dad Kenny Dorham, Hans. Evette continued: I know my dad had a strong affinity for Scandinavia and nearby, and this past July I made my on travel to visit and Rotterdam while attending the North Sea Jazz Festival. The late, great drummer Billy Higgens told me shortly before he passed on (May 2001) that I should retrace all my father's musicial footsteps so that is what I am doing. To learn more about my dad as a man, a musician and as a good citizen of the world who loved and found kindness wherever he traveled in the world.



If one you have pictures, stories, films or other interesting information about her father, Kenny Dorham, you can help Evette with her research for her book. You can contact her directly if you wish, by mailing her at kennydorhamproject@yahoo.com or to keepswinging@live.nl. She promissed provide any credits should that be necessary.


If you have a subject that should be discussed here and you love to share it with the visitors of this blog please contact me ( keepswinging@live.nl ). Maybe you're the next guest contributor.


Time exposure for the 27th of October:
1927:

  • missouri squabble = alex jackson plantation o

  • cold mornin' shout / dallas blues / mean old bed bug blues / suitcase breakdown = south street trio

1937:

  • holiday in harlem / i got a guy / just a simple melody = chick webb o

Keep swinging

Hans Koert


keepswinging@live.nl


PLAYLIST
animal crackers/band zonder stekkers = les tresors du city jazz 1955/CD 48 = jacob do bandolim/volume 3 = paul desmond/take ten = kenny dorham/1959 (= quiet kenny) (lp) = thelonious monk/greatest hits (lp) = joe henderson/state of the tenor (2) = blindfold test #34/jazz in france = kenny dorham/trompeta toccata = elvino vardaro/el violin maior del tango = visitors (earl & carl grubbs)/in my youth = diamond five/brilliant = ruben gonzalez/momentos

Nederlands ( To the English translation )

Een paar dagen geleden kwam ik in contact met Evette Dorham die me om informatie vroeg. Ze is bezig om een boek te schrijven over haar vader, Kenny Dorham ( 1924 - 1972 ), die een bekend bebop trompettist was.
Ze schrijft: I'm writing a book about my father and I'm gathering photos, audio, video or their memories they have of meeting my dad or seeing his performances of listening to his music. I know he traveled in Europe and I have met fans who have a picture they or a parent took of my dad somewhere in their travels or have an amature recording. ( = Ik ben een boek aan het schrijven over mijn vader en ik verzamel foto's, geluidsbanden, videos of herineringen aan ontmoetingen of concerten. Ik weet dat hij in Europa speelde en dat fans foto's of amateuropnamen van hem gemaakt hebben. )

Kenny Dorham, geboren in Fairfield TX (USA) in augustus 1924 begon trompet te spelen in swing bands en midden jaren veertig speelt hij bij de orkesten van Billy Eckstine en Dizzy Gillespie - twee muzikanten, die druk bezig waren met het experimenteren in de bebop stijl. In 1948 en 1949 speelde hij in het Charlie Parker Quintet. In de jaren vijftig was hij één van de oprichters van de Jazz Messengers en speelde hij bij de Jazz Prophets. Hij verving Clifford Brown, die bij een verkeersongeval om het leven kwam, in het Max Roach Quintet. In de jaren zestig speelde hij o.a. in groepen met Joe Henderson.

Zes weken geleden plaatste ik een bijdrage over Kenny Dorham's Debut album dat ik op de kop had getikt. Evette schreef daarover: Thank you for adding your thoughts on my dad Kenny Dorham, Hans (= Bedankt voor je stukje over mijn vader, Kenny Dorham, Hans. ) Evette gaat verder: I know my dad had a strong affinity for Scandinavia and nearby, and this past July i made my on travel to visit and Rotterdam while attending the North Sea Jazz Festival. (= Ik weet dat mijn vader een sterke band voelde met Scandinavië en de landen daar omheen (!) en afgelopen juli was ik op het North Sea Jazz Festival in Rotterdam). The late, great drummer Billy Higgens told me shortly before he passed on that I should retrace all my father's musicial footsteps so that is what I am doing. To learn more about my dad as a man, a musician and as a good citizen of the world who loved and found kindness wherever he traveled in the world. (= De onlangs overleden drummer Billy Higgins ( hij overleed mei 2001) zei me, vlak voordat hij stierf, dat ik moest proberen mijn vaders muzikale erfenis op te sporen. En daar ben ik nu mee bezig, om meer te weten te komen over mijn vader als mens, als muzikant en als een goed wereldburger, die overal vriendelijke mensen ontmoette)



Als je foto's verhalen, herinneringen, films of andere interessante informatie hebt over haar vader, Kenny Dorham, dan kun je Evette helpen bij haar speurtocht, door contact met haar op te nemen: kennydorhamproject@yahoo.com of keepswinging@live.nl .

Als je zelf een onderwerp hebt bestudeerd, dat, volgens jou, prima past in het concept van deze weblog en je wilt het delen met anderen zoek dan contact: keepswinging@live.nl


Tijdopname voor 27 oktober:
1927:

  • missouri squabble = alex jackson plantation o
  • cold mornin' shout / dallas blues / mean old bed bug blues / suitcase breakdown = south street trio

1937:

  • holiday in harlem / i got a guy / just a simple melody = chick webb o

Keep swinging

Hans Koert


keepswinging@live.nl


SPEELLIJST
animal crackers/band zonder stekkers = les tresors du city jazz 1955/CD 48 = jacob do bandolim/volume 3 = paul desmond/take ten = kenny dorham/1959 (= quiet kenny) (lp) = thelonious monk/greatest hits (lp) = joe henderson/state of the tenor (2) = blindfold test #34/jazz in france = kenny dorham/trompeta toccata = elvino vardaro/el violin maior del tango = visitors (earl & carl grubbs)/in my youth = diamond five/brilliant = ruben gonzalez/momentos


Keep Swinging Oscar Aleman Flexible Records Choro Music Hit of the week - Durium

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ik zal helaas niet kunnen helpen met persoonlijke foto's bijvoorbeeld, omdat ik de man nooit mee heb mogen maken .

Maar de man is een fantastisch trompetist die eerst bebop speelde en zich later liet meestromen in de Hardbop. In beide stijlen was hij een meester. Ik ben blij dat ik nog elke dag van z'n werken kan genieten
Pim

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's an article by Michael James in Jazz & Blues (January 1972).

Julian V.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home