Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Heather Simmons - I'm Old Fashioned

( Naar de Nederlandse vertaling.)

Heather Simmons – Jazz Chanteuse. That how she calls herself. I played her last album, titled I’m Old Fashioned. The music on this CD is labeled as Vintage, nostalgic, smokey, swinging & cool - Atmospheric, lush vocals sing original and classic jazz. It has 18 tracks with a total playing time of 60 minutes. – one hour in which Heather Simmons shows that she can sing, apparently in an easy way, songs from Billie Holiday ( like a great interpretation of Lover Man) up to Bessie Smith’s version of the St. Louis Blues. No imitations - not at all. I’m trying to let the tunes sound as they ought to sound as fresh as tomorrow’s papers, she says on her web site.
The CD contains six compositions of her own hand, in which she puts her passion for the songs from the time when the men swung and the women swooned – the music of the 1920s to 1950s, a period Heather Simmons fascinates. I was inspirated by singers like Billie Holiday, Connie Boswell, Bessie Smith, Annette Hanshaw, Ella Fitzgerald and good old Louis Armstrong. You can hear these singers' inflections my singing because I spend hours and hours with my ear next to the speaker trying to sound like them!! I then sing the song in my own way and hope that I create a tone and mood that is unique to me, she explains. In a few tracks, like Roll On Mississippi and her own composition I'm addicted to you, she plays tribute to the Boswell Sisters with the Swinging Belles ( Heather Simmons, Debbie Bines and Claire Furley). Personally I like her version of the rather unknown tune Looking at the world through rose-colored glasses, originally recorded by bands like the Vagabonds and the California Ramblers in 1926.
Heather Simmons is accompanied by a quintet of skilled musicians, who give her sparkling and pure voice a swinging base. Some up tempo tunes are really great. I’m glad I found this jazz vocalist who won’t be swayed by the issues of the day – who don’t want to sound like all those other jazz vocalists. Heather Simmons, the charming singer from Southend on Sea, only wants to share her passion for the music of bygone days: Should you come to see me sing, that will be the first thing that strikes you, how much I love my music and the musicians I work with, she says about herself. A record I can recommend every music lover.

Time exposures for the 25th of July:
1927:
  • alice the whaler = alice comedies cartoon

  • memphis blues / st louis blues = sam ku west

1977:

  • flute song = art farmer o
Keep swinging

Hans Koert


keepswinging@live.nl


PLAYLIST
claudionor cruz-canhoto regional/compilation = thelonious monk/genius of modern music - volume 1 (lp) = thelonious monk/the genius of (lp) = george gershwin/on screen (2) = snoozer quinn/the legendary = heather simmons/i'm old fashioned = marcus miller/tales = sonny fortune/continuum = horace silver quintet/further explorations by the ... = dexter gordon/one flight up = stanley turrentine/up at minton's (2)

Nederlands ( To the English translation )
Heather Simmons – Jazz Chanteuse. Zo noemt ze zich. Voor me ligt haar CD, onder eigen beheer uitgegeven: I’m Old Fashioned. De muziek op de CD wordt omschreven als Vintage, nostalgic, smokey, swinging & cool - Atmospheric, lush vocals sing original and classic jazz. Het bevat zo’n 18 titels met een totale tijdsduur van 60 minuten. – een uur waarin Heather met haar mooie stem zich schijnbaar moeiteloos aanpast aan het repertoire van Billie Holiday, met een schitterende vertolking van Lover Man of Bessie Smith, met een doorleefde St. Louis Blues. Geen imitaties, zeker niet, wel probeert ze om als het ware in het lied te kruipen en ze weet ze te laten klinken as fresh as tomorrow’s papers.
Een zestal nummers zijn eigen composities en hieruit blijkt hoe goed ze zich verdiept heeft in de sfeer van die tijd. Heather Simmons zegt gefascineerd te zijn door de muziek uit de twintiger tot de vijftiger jaren van de vorige eeuw. Haar grote voorbeelden zijn Billie Holiday, Connie Boswell, Bessie Smith, Annette Hanshaw, Ella Fitzgerald en Louis Armstrong. You can hear these singers' inflections my singing because I spend hours and hours with my ear next to the speaker trying to sound like them!! I then sing the song in my own way and hope that I create a tone and mood that is unique to me ( Je kunt de invloeden van deze zangers horen, omdat ik urenlang hun manier van zingen bestudeerd heb. Daarna zing ik het op mijn eigen manier en ik probeer dingen van mezelf in het nummer te leggen.) legt ze uit op haar website. Op een aantal nummers á la de Boswell- en Andrew Sisters ( zoals Roll On Mississippi Roll On en I'm addicted to you ) nemen de Swinging Belles ( Heather Simons, Debbie Bines en Claire Furley) de zangpartijen over. Zelf vind ik Heather's vertolking van het tamelijk onbekende nummer Looking at the world through rose-colored glasses, oorspronkelijk opgenomen in 1926 door The Vagabonds en de California Ramblers schitterend.

Heather Simmons wordt begeleid door een aantal ervaren musici, die deskundig en swingend haar muzikaal ondersteunen. Eindelijk een jazzzangeres, die niet mee wil gaan in de waan van de dag, die vooral luisteraars zal boeien die geen zin hebben in de zoveelste jazzzangeres, die gaat voor hoge verkoopcijfers; Heather Simmons, de charmante zangeres uit Southend on Sea ( GB) wil vooral haar passie voor de jazz uit de iets vroegere perioden laten horen: Should you come to see me sing, that will be the first thing that strikes you, how much I love my music and the musicians I work with. Een plaat die ik iedereen kan aanraden.

Tijdopnamen voor 25 juli:
1927:
  • alice the whaler = alice comedies cartoon

  • memphis blues / st louis blues = sam ku west

1977:

  • flute song = art farmer o

Keep swinging

Hans Koert


keepswinging@live.nl


SPEELLIJST
claudionor cruz-canhoto regional/compilation = thelonious monk/genius of modern music - volume 1 (lp) = thelonious monk/the genius of (lp) = george gershwin/on screen (2) = snoozer quinn/the legendary = heather simmons/i'm old fashioned = marcus miller/tales = sonny fortune/continuum = horace silver quintet/further explorations by the ... = dexter gordon/one flight up = stanley turrentine/up at minton's (2)

Keep Swinging Oscar Aleman Flexible Records Choro Music Hit of the week - Durium

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home