Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Pieza Desconocida

( Naar de Nederlandse vertaling.)

I remember that when I was a kid, a man on TV, who had collected hunderds of records of a certain classical theme, was asked when he would stop collecting all those different versions. He said: I stop when I have them all. Why? the reporter asked. Because then I know which version is the best ! I thought about these words when I was listening to a CD with the first recordings of Jacob do Bandolim, titled Jacob do Bandolim - 1947 a 1953 ( 78rpm). It is the first record in a series and when I enjoyed these great early tunes I learned that most of the tunes were already in my collection, but some were new for me. Should I try to find all recordings for my collection or could I be satisfied in the knowledge that I don't have it all?
When I was a young record collector I had nearly all Fats Waller recordings; my Hit of the week collection is nearly complete, like my collection of the commercial releases of Oscar Aleman.
Yesterday I played a copy of the record Oscar Aleman y sus Presentaiones en vivo - volume 2. This record is part of a series with all ( ? ) Oscar Aleman private and live recordings that still exist. A lot of tracks with screaming radio announcers and terrible sounding exciting up tempo tunes played by Oscar don't made me happy, but the second part of the CD contained for me some great unknown solo recordings, probably made at his apartment, of some standards as Sweet Georgia Brown, After You've Gone and tunes, that even don't have a title ( pieza desconocida ).
When I heard Oscar playing these tunes I knew for sure, that I wanted to hear it all ..... to learn where he plays at his best.
I found a nice group from Caraiva Bahia Brasil, who plays a Jacob do Bandolim composition. I love to share this with you.



Keep swinging

Hans Koert



MY TURNTABLE
phil woods/moonlight in vermont (4) - international honky tonk/telemusic - buddy de franco quartet-louis hayes quintet/blues bag - lennie tristano/trio,quartet, quintet and sextet - clifford brown-max roach quintet/the last concert (2) - art blakey jazz messengers/at the jazz corner of the world (2) - ray bryant-betty carter/meet betty carter and ray bryant - les tresors du city jazz 1952/CD 23 (Jun 1952 - Jul 1952) - oscar aleman/sus presentaciones en vivo - vol 1 - oscar aleman/sus presentaciones en vivo - vol 2 - ornette coleman/free jazz - brother jack mcduff/the best of the concord years (2) - jacob do bandolim/1947 a 1953

Nederlands ( To the English translation )


Ik herinner me als kind een keer op de TV een man gezien te hebben, die al honderden versies van een bepaald klassiek stuk op de plaat verzameld had en toen de presentator vroeg, wanneer hij met dit verzamelen zou stoppen zei hij: Als ik alles heb. Waarom? vroeg de presentator. Omdat ik dan pas weet welke uitvoering de beste is. Aan dit voorval dacht ik toen ik gisteren een CD van Jacob do Bandolim afspeelde, getiteld Jacob do Bandolim - 1947 a 1953 ( 78rpm). Het is de eerste CD in een serie en ik genoot van deze heerlijke muziek uit het begin van zijn loopbaan. De meeste nummer had ik al op andere platen van hem, maar af en toe kwam er een onbekend nummer voorbij. Ik vroeg me af ..... net als die verslaggever op de TV, of ik ze allemaal wilde of dat ik op een gegeven moment tevrden zou zijn met mijn collectie.
Toen ik nog maar net begon als verzamelaar probeerde ik om alle Fats Waller opnamen te pakken te krijgen. Nu heb ik de originele Hit of the week platen bijna compleet en Oscar Aleman's commerciele plaat opnamen heb ik ook bijna allemaal. Gisteren beluisterde ik een CD getiteld Oscar Aleman y sus Presentaiones en vivo - volume 2. Deze plaat is deel van een serie die alle (?) overgeleverde live- en privéopnamen van Oscar Aleman bevat. Dat betekent dat er nog al wat radiouitzendingen op staan waar schreeuwende reporters voor een uitgelaten publiek een opzwepende Oscar Aleman laat horen, vaak van een erbarmelijke geluidskwaliteit. Wat moet ik hiermee? Aan het eind van de CD vond ik echter een aantal schitterende gitaarsolo's, klaarblijkelijk gemaakt in de rust van zijn appartement van verschillende standards zoals Sweet Georgia Brown, After You've Gone en zelfs een aantal nummers, die nooit een titel zouden krijgen ( pieza desconocida ).
Toen ik die nummers hoorde wist ik het zeker ....... ik moest ze, net als die man in mijn herinnering, allemaal horen .........om te weten welke de beste is.
Ik vond een leuke groep Choro spelers, die de muziek van Jacob do Bandolim uitvoeren. Ze komen uit Caraiva Bahia in Brazilië.



Keep swinging

Hans Koert


keepswinging@live.nl




MIJN DRAAITAFEL
phil woods/moonlight in vermont (4)- international honky tonk/telemusic - buddy de franco quartet-louis hayes quintet/blues bag - lennie tristano/trio,quartet, quintet and sextet - clifford brown-max roach quintet/the last concert (2) - art blakey jazz messengers/at the jazz corner of the world (2) - ray bryant-betty carter/meet betty carter and ray bryant - les tresors du city jazz 1952/CD 23 (Jun 1952 - Jul 1952) - oscar aleman/sus presentaciones en vivo - vol 1 - oscar aleman/sus presentaciones en vivo - vol 2 - ornette coleman/free jazz - brother jack mcduff/the best of the concord years (2) - jacob do bandolim/1947 a 1953

1 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Thanks a lot, Hans, for sharing these considerations about collecting records, I feel most the same way as expressed in your survey. - Amazing video performance of Jacob's "Santa Morena", very well executed - the master himself would have liked it, thanks a lot for sharing. It's a joy beyond words to learn that so many accomplished and devoted anonymous players in Brasil carry on a great tradition in music - enough knowledge to make your day a happy one, thanks!

Jo

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home