Friday, February 01, 2008

Oscar Peterson's Van Gogh Story

( Naar de Nederlandse vertaling.)
Today the second contribution by guest contributor Arnold van Kampen, Jazz critic and author of the Oscar Peterson discography, where he tells the story how Oscar Peterson almost became as Vincent Van Gogh. You can read his first contribution, about the vocal styling of Oscar Peterson
in a previous blog.

For over 20 years I had the good fortune of being a close friend of Oscar Peterson. What started with an interview grew, thanks to several mutual shared interests, into a warm and treasured friendship. Among other things I wrote liner notes for several of Oscar’s albums, did a Complete Discography (yet to be published), and was involved in his autobiography “A Jazz Odyssey” (published by Continuum in 2002). During all his visits to the Netherlands we had long talks, splendid meals (Oscar was fond of Indonesian food) and enjoyed these often in the company of Ray Brown, Jeff Hamilton, Herb Ellis, Bobby Durham and other sidemen.
Oscar was always very good company, and besides being a practical joker (a habit he shared with Ray Brown), he was an absolute marvellous story teller. Now that the greatest pianist ever is gone, I often tell mourning friend this funny story, Oscar told me:
Well this happened during my years on the road with Jazz at the Philharmonic. You know we travelled the States constantly and among others Ella, Roy, Herbie, Lester, Ben, Ray and Dizzy were part of this group. This time, I think it was in the sixties, we had a long journey from the South in Greyhound busses, Norman (Granz) had hired for our transportation, and we arrived in Chicago before the hotel that was already booked. That same night we had to perform, so Norman told us, who was in what room and Ray, Dizzy and I had to share a suite.
We all were really worn out, dusty and longing for a warm bath, and a good meal Norman had announced in about an hour. Ray, Dizzy and I used the same large bathroom, and I was the first to jump in the bath. After that we had to dress up in tuxedo for dinner and the concert. So when I got out of the bath I took my knife to shave, Ray jumped into the bath and I started shaving in front of the mirror, of course complete naked. Well you know Dizzy (and I said yes because I also became good friends with both Ray Brown and Dizzy Gillespie), and you know how crazy he can be.
At this point Oscar was already laughing his head of, because he knew what was coming. Okay, Dizzy entered this steamy bathroom, and never thought of anything, but saw me standing naked before that mirror and noticed my beautiful bottom and just bite me in one of my hams! Here again Oscar is laughing and almost fell of his chair. Well of course Dizzy did not notice that at that point I was just shaving my cheek with a sharp knife, because I almost cut my ear off and started bleeding! I almost shaved my ear off like Van Gogh! (And again the restaurant is filled with Oscar’s enormous laughter) Well that night I had to perform with an enormous plaster on my ear. And every time Ray and Diz looked at me, they both could not help laughing and several times they went into the wings! Of course I could not tell the audience that I almost became Vincent van Gogh, due to Dizzy’s crazy brain-wave!” (And again Oscar’s colossal laughter filled the air)

Arnold van Kampen. Jazz critic and author of: Oscar Peterson: a discography ( Eastnote: Hull Studies in Jazz ) Author of Oscar Peterson - A Jazz Sensation

I love to share with you a fragment of a concert by the Jazz At The Philharmonic is the Concertgebouw - Amsterdam on the fifth of May 1957 with Roy Eldridge trumpet, Stuff Smith violin, Oscar Peterson and Don Abney pianos, Herb Ellis guitar, Ray Brown bass, Jo Jones drums and Ella Fitzgerald vocal.

MEMORABLE CONCERTS

1st of February 1998
"BOSS TENORS": Houston Person tenor sax - David Fathead Newman tenor sax - Rein De Graaff piano - Koos Serierse bass - Eric Ineke drums.
Porgy & Bess Jazzclub Terneuzen ( The Netherlands)


AT RANDOM:
Caminos Cruzados (Cross Roads) OSCAR ALEMAN y su Quinteto de Swing: Oscar Aleman guitar, Manuel Gavinovich violin, Ceferino Alburquerque piano, Oscar Guillermo Barbieri guitar, Luis Gavinovich bass and Ramón M. Caravaco drums. Recorded in Buenos Aires, the 2nd of May 1944 for Odeon.

Time exposure for te 1st of February:
1928:
  • start the band = ted lewis band
  • snitchin' gambler blues / evergreen money blues = memphis jug band
  • is she my girl friend / i wish i could shimmy like my sister kate / sorry / my honey's loving arms = ray miller hotel gibson o

1938:

  • please be kind / tornerai / if i had you = django reinhardt-stephanne grappelly
Keep swinging

Hans Koert


keepswinging@live.nl

PLAYLIST
oscar aleman/volume 4 = kansas city band/kc after dark = hawaiian 78rpms/hawaiian fancies = django reinhardt-stephane grappelli/swingin' with django - cd 1 = jazz/new york-jazz age(2) = miles davis/the complete live recordings-1956-1957-cd 2
Retrospect
Bola Sete

Nederlands ( To the English translation )

Vandaag de tweede bijdrage van gastredacteur Arnold van Kampen, Jazzcriticus en auteur van de Oscar Peterson discography, waarin hij het verhaal vertelt hoe Oscar Peterson bijna als Vincent Van Gogh werd. De eerste bijdrage van Arnold van Kampen over de zangkwaliteiten van Oscar Peterson vind je
hier.
Twintig jaar lang heb ik het geluk gehad bevriend te mogen zijn met Oscar Peterson. Wat ooit begon met een interview, groeide, dankzij onze gemeenschappelijke interesses uit tot een hechte vriendschap. Ik schreef, behalve nog veel andere zaken, hoesteksten bij CD uitgaven, een complete, nog onuitgegeven, discografie en was betrokken bij zijn autobiografie “A Jazz Odyssey” uitgegeven bij Continuum in 2002.
Tijdens al zijn bezoeken aan Nederland hadden we lange gesprekken tijdens uitgebreide rijsttafels (Oscar hield van Indonesisch eten), meestal samen met mannen als Ray Brown,
Jeff Hamilton, Herb Ellis, Bobby Durham en andere begeleiders.
Oscar was altijd goed gezelschap en berucht om zijn practical jokes....... een gewoonte die hij gemeen had met Ray Brown overigens en bovendien was hij een rasverteller. Nu hij overleden is, vertel ik aan vrienden die het willen horen, graag het volgende verhaal dat Oscar me vertelde: Well this happened during my years on the road with Jazz at the Philharmonic. You know we travelled the States constantly and among others Ella, Roy, Herbie, Lester, Ben, Ray and Dizzy were part of this group. ( = Het gebeurde tijdens één van die Jazz At The Philharmonic tournees door de VS. Zoals je wellicht weet trokken we dan rond met artiesten als Ella, Roy, Herbie, Lester, Ben, Ray en Dizzy). I think it was in the sixties, we had a long journey from the South in Greyhound busses, Norman (Granz) had hired for our transportation, and we arrived in Chicago before the hotel that was already booked. (= Het was denk ik ergens in de jaren zestig en we hadden een lange tocht achter de rug met zo'n Greyhound bus, die Norman (Granz) voor ons gecharterd had. We kwamen aan in Chicago in ons hotel, dat al geboekt was). That same night we had to perform, so Norman told us, who was in what room and Ray, Dizzy and I had to share a suite. (= Diezelfde avond moesten we optreden, dus werden we door Norman verdeeld over de kamers).
We all were really worn out, dusty and longing for a warm bath, and a good meal Norman had announced in about an hour. Ray, Dizzy and I used the same large bathroom, and I was the first to jump in the bath. (= We waren aardig gaar en verlangden naar een warm bad en een goed maal, dat Norman ons over een uur beloofd had, Ray, Dizzy en ik zaten in dezelfde suite en we deelden een grote badkamer. Ik was de eerste die in het bad sprong.) After that we had to dress up in tuxedo for dinner and the concert. So when I got out of the bath I took my knife to shave, Ray jumped into the bath and I started shaving in front of the mirror, of course complete naked. ( = Na het baden moesten we ons in smoking kleden voor het diner en het concert. Dus toen ik uit bad kwam pakte ik mijn scheermes, terwijl Ray in bad ging. Ik begon me voor de spiegel te scheren, uiteraard helemaal in mijn blootje)
Well, gaat Oscar verder, you know Dizzy (en dat moest ik beamen, want ik was ook goed bevriend met zowel Ray Brown als Dizzy Gillespie), and you know how crazy he can be. (= Wel, jullie kennen Dizzy ....., die is soms knettergek) Oscar heeft nu al pret over wat hij weet dat er gaat komen !! Okay, Dizzy entered this steamy bathroom, and never thought of anything, but saw me standing naked before that mirror and noticed my beautiful bottom and just bite me in one of my hams! (= Nou, Dizzy komt de badkamer binnen die vol stoom hangt, denkt nergens aan, ziet me daar in mijn blootje voor de spiegel staan, ziet mijn verleidelijke achterwerk en bijt zo in één van mijn billen). Oscar kan bijna niet recht op zijn stoel blijven zitten van het lachen als hij hieraan terug denkt. Well of course Dizzy did not notice that at that point I was just shaving my cheek with a sharp knife, because I almost cut my ear off and started bleeding! I almost shaved my ear off like Van Gogh! (= Dizzy had natuurlijk niet in de gaten waar ik mee bezig was; dat ik mezelf aan het scheren was met een scherp mes, dus sneed ik zowat mijn oor er af en begon ik flink te bloeden. Ik had bijna, net als Van Gogh, op moeten treden met maar één oor. ) En weer vulde het restaurant zich met Oscar's lach. Well that night I had to perform with an enormous plaster on my ear. And every time Ray and Diz looked at me, they both could not help laughing and several times they went into the wings! Of course I could not tell the audience that I almost became Vincent van Gogh, due to Dizzy’s crazy brain-wave! ( = Die avond speelde ik met een enorme pleister over mijn oor en elke keer als Ray en Diz naar me keken, konden ze hun lachen niet inhouden en moesten zich even terugtrekken. Natuurlijk kon ik het publiek de waarheid niet vertellen; waarom ik bijna Vincent van Gogh was geweest.) En weer klinkt de uitbundige lach van Oscar.

Arnold van Kampen. Jazzcriticus en auteur van: Oscar Peterson: a discography ( Eastnote: Hull Studies in Jazz ) Auteur van Oscar Peterson - A Jazz Sensation
Ik vond een fragment van een Jazz At The Philharmonic matinée concert in het Concertgebouw in Amsterdam van 5 mei 1957 met Roy Eldridge trompet, Stuff Smith viool, Oscar Peterson en Don Abney piano's, Herb Ellis gitaar, Ray Brown bas, Jo Jones slagwerk en uiteraard Ella Fitzgerald zang.

GEDENKWAARDIGE CONCERTEN

1 februari 1998
"BOSS TENORS": Houston Person tenorsax - David Fathead Newman tenorsax - Rein De Graaff piano - Koos Serierse bas - Eric Ineke drums.
Porgy & Bess Jazzclub Terneuzen


AT RANDOM:
Caminos Cruzados (Cross Roads) OSCAR ALEMAN y su Quinteto de Swing: Oscar Aleman gitaar, Manuel Gavinovich viool, Ceferino Alburquerque piano, Oscar Guillermo Barbieri gitaar, Luis Gavinovich bas en Ramón M. Caravaco slagwerk. Opgenomen in Buenos Aires 2 mei 1944 voor Odeon.

Tijdopname vor 1 februari:
1928:

  • start the band =] ted lewis band
  • snitchin' gambler blues / evergreen money blues = memphis jug band
  • is she my girl friend / i wish i could shimmy like my sister kate / sorry / my honey's loving arms = ray miller hotel gibson o

1938:

  • please be kind / tornerai / if i had you = django reinhardt-stephanne grappelly
Keep swinging

Hans Koert


keepswinging@live.nl


SPEELLIJST

oscar aleman/volume 4 = kansas city band/kc after dark = hawaiian 78rpms/hawaiian fancies = django reinhardt-stephane grappelli/swingin' with django - cd 1 = jazz/new york-jazz age(2) = miles davis/the complete live recordings-1956-1957-cd 2

Retrospect

Bola Sete

Keep Swinging Oscar Aleman Flexible Records Choro Music Hit of the week - Durium

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have questions or messages for Arnold van Kampen please send it to mailto:keepswinging@live.nl and I'll forard it !!

Thanks !!

Keep swinging

Hans

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home