Saturday, November 03, 2007

Kenny Dorham Remembered

( Naar de Nederlandse vertaling.)
A week ago I posted a call from Evette Dorham, daughter of the great bebop trumpet player Kenny Dorham. Several people responded to her appeal and shared their remembrances. Evette received also some reactions at her email address and talked by phone. A rather extensive reaction came from Fernando Gelbard, who shared his remembrances to Oscar Aleman in a previous blog, I love to share with you.

Fernando Gelbard writes: I Myself and a group of musicians who cherish harmony (we love Clare Fischer, The Hi Los, The Singers Unlimited etc.) also cherish Kenny Dorham solos. His harmonic concept was unique...The phrases and nuances un Kenny's playing were always loved and admired. I had the chance of hearing him in person in Buenos Aires sometime in the 60's (I think) when he went with a group of players including Al Cohn and Zoot Sims. I can't forget his solo in "The Falling Leaves". It was recorded by Milrud, the sound man, and later released as a pirate cd (I don't have it). Another legendary solo (in my opinion and my friends, all musicians) is that on "It could happen to you" with Jackie McLean, alto sax (not on that tune); Walter Bishop, piano; Leroy Vinnegar, bass; Art Taylor, drums. from the album "Inta Somethin'" . That solo contains phrases that I keep in my mind. In later years I played with Leroy Vinnegar in Los Angeles!! You know my music, Hans, you have listened to some of the music I produced and composed and I assure you that Kenny was always present. The Guido Basso Quartet album "Guido Basso" with Guido on fluegel, Frank Collett on piano, Andy Simpkins on bass and Terry Clarke on drums, although it wasn't said, was a tribute to Kenny. I would have recorded Kenny if he were alive.

Another thought, is that even when I lived in Argentina in the 60's and listened to Kenny, I thought many, many times how he and I, with our different backgrounds, felt the same emotions when we listened or played Round About Midnight, or any other ballad, those that touch your heart deeply. Fernando Gelbard

Evette Dorham asked me to post her sincere thanks to the jazz lovers around the world who continue to enjoy her dad's music. One of your readers, she says, Mr. Han S. has already contacted me to follow up & will try to get an article to me. I learned that all things have a season and I feel this is another season to encurage jazz lovers around the world to continue to listen to and enjoy my dad's music. Every person I meet who knew my dad well, tells me how he cared about how his fellow musicians fared. He enjoyed working with so many greats but I do remember a period when several frequented our home during a period of time. To visit, have a meal, work on music together (you know dad was a prolific arranger), discuss their upcoming plans & to be in support of each other. I remember well the Adderley Brothers who were so kind, Thelonious Monk, very soft spoken with a quick smile different from the public personea I read about, Max Roach who was like a brother to my dad and my godfather Milt Jackson, come to mind quickly.
Very best regards, Evette


If you have a subject that should be discussed here and you love to share it with the visitors of this blog please contact me ( keepswinging@live.nl ). Maybe you're the next guest contributor.

I love to wish Jørgen, Theo and Ton a great reunion tonight after the concert of the Dutch Swing College Band at the Alsion in Sønderborg, Denmark. Enjoy !!

AT RANDOM:
TAL FARLOW

A series of recordings from his golden period 1954-1958
GIANTS OF JAZZ CD 53247


Time exposure for the 3rd of November:
1927:

  • curly headed woman = burnett & rutherford
  • black and tan fantasy / chicago stomp down / what can a poor fellow do = duke ellington o

1957:

  • all the things you are / four / get happy / i can't get started / i'll remember april / i've got you under my skin /night in tunesia / old devil moon / softly as in a morning sunrise / sonnymoon for two / striver's row / what is this thing called love/ woody 'n' you = sonny rollins trio
Keep swinging

Hans Koert


keepswinging@live.nl

PLAYLIST
thelonious monk/genius of modern music - volume 1 = miles davis/miles smiles = tal farlow/giants of jazz = mary lou williams/jazz in montreux '78 (dvd) = toots thielemans/one more for the road

Nederlands ( To the English translation )

Een week geleden plaatste ik een berichtje van Evette Dorham, dochter van de grote bebop trompettist Kenny Dorham. Verschillende lezers reageerden op haar oproep om herinneringen over haar vader met haar te delen; sommigen vertelden hoe ze nog steeds genoten van zijn platen; anderen stuurden uitgebreide reacties, zoals Fernando Gelbard, die eerder ook al zijn herinneringen aan Oscar Aleman aan ons vertelde. Zijn herinneringen aan Kenny Dorham vind je hieronder.

Fernando Gelbard schrijft: ( vertaald in het Nederlands) Ikzelf en een groep andere musici koesteren muziek gebasseerd op harmoniën; we zijn fan van Clare Fischer, The Hi Los, The Singers Unlimited etc.) en ook van de solo's van Kenny Dorham. De manier waarop hij de noten met elkaar in verband bracht was uniek. De muzieklijnen en akkoorden waren altijd doordacht. Ik prijs me gelukkig hem te hebben zien spelen in Buenos Aires (Argentinië), ergens in de jaren zestig denk ik. Hij speelde daar met een groep, waarin ook Al Cohn en Zoot Sims zaten. Ik zal zijn solo in "The Falling Leaves" nooit vergeten. Het is opgenomen door Milrud, een geluidstechnicus, en later als bootleg cd ( ik heb hem helaas niet) verschenen, Nog zo'n legendarische solo ( dat vinden zowel mijn vrienden als ik ) is "It could happen to you" met de groep van Jackie McLean, de altsaxofonist ( die hier niet meespeelt), Walter Bishop op piano; Leroy Vinnegar op bas en Art Taylor op slagwerk. zoals verschenen op de plaat Inta Somethin' . Die solo bevat delen , die ik steeds in mijn hoofd heb onthouden. Later speelde ik een keer met Leroy Vinnegar in Los Angeles!! Je kent mijn muziek, Hans, je hebt ook geluisterd naar muziek die ik geproduceerd heb, ik verzeker je dat Kenny altijd aanwezig was. Het Guido Basso Quartet album "Guido Basso" met Guido op bügel, Fank Collett aan de piano, Andy Simpkins op bas en Terry Clarke op slagwerk, is een Trubute aan Kenny Dorham geworden. Als Kenny nog geleefd zou hebben had ik zeker uitgenodigd met hem een plaat op te nemen.

Nog een andere herinnering: Toen ik in de jaren zestig nog in Argentinië woonde en naar Kenny Dorham luisterde vroeg ik me vaak af hoe het mogelijk was dat zowel Kenny als ik, met onze verschillende achtergronden, blijkbaar dezelfde gevoelens hadden bij het luisteren en spelen van nummers als Round About Midnight, of welke andere ballad ook, die ons na aan het hart lag.

Fernando Gelbard

Evette Dorham vroeg me om haar dank over te brengen aan alle jazzliefhebers over de hele wereld die nog steeds genieten van haar vader's muziek. Ze heeft al reacties ontvangen en telefonisch contact gehad n.a.v. deze oproep. Ik ontdekte, schrijft ze (vertaald naar het Nederlands), dat er van alles blijkbaar een tijd is en ik voel dat er nu een nieuwe periode is aangebroken waarin ik iedereen wil aanmoedigen naar de muziek van mijn vader te luisteren. Iedereen die ik ontmoet of spreek en die mijn vader goed gekend hebben wijzen me op het feit dat hij steeds meeleefde met de andere leden van zijn band. Hij vond het fijn om te werken met de grootten en ik herinner me dat er een tijd was dat die vaak bij ons over de vloer kwamen; voor een bezoekje, om een hapje te eten, samen aan muziek te werken ( mijn vader arrangeerde ook vaak), elkaars plannen te bespreken en als het nodig was, om elkaar te steunen. Zo herinner ik met de Adderley Brothers (Nat en Cannonball) die heel aardig waren en Thelonious Monk, die heel zacht sprak en naar me kon glimlachen; heel anders dan zoals je over hem leest. Verder denk ik aan Max Roach, die als een broer voor mijn vader was en mijn peetvader Milt Jackson.
Hartelijke groeten,
Evette Dorham

Als je zelf een onderwerp hebt bestudeerd, dat, volgens jou, prima past in het concept van deze weblog en je wilt het delen met anderen zoek dan contact: keepswinging@live.nl

Veel plezier, Jørgen, Theo en Ton, op jullie kleine reunietje vanavond en ik hoop voor jullie op een swingende avond in het Alsion vanavond met de Dutch Swing College Band in Sønderborg ( Denemarken)

AT RANDOM:
TAL FARLOW

Een serie opnamen uit zijn gouden periode: 1954 - 1958
GIANTS OF JAZZ CD 53247


Tijdopname voor 3 november:
1927:

  • curly headed woman = burnett & rutherford
  • black and tan fantasy / chicago stomp down / what can a poor fellow do = duke ellington o

1957:

  • all the things you are / four / get happy / i can't get started / i'll remember april / i've got you under my skin /night in tunesia / old devil moon / softly as in a morning sunrise / sonnymoon for two / striver's row / what is this thing called love/ woody 'n' you = sonny rollins trio
Keep swinging

Hans Koert


keepswinging@live.nl

SPEELLIJST
thelonious monk/genius of modern music - volume 1 = miles davis/miles smiles = tal farlow/giants of jazz = mary lou williams/jazz in montreux '78 (dvd) = toots thielemans/one more for the road


Keep Swinging Oscar Aleman Flexible Records Choro Music Hit of the week - Durium

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Hans,

You are most kind to foward Fernando's note to me. I feel privileged to know my dad touched another heart with his passion and I have not met in all these years anyone who saw him perform in Buenos Aries from which he created his 'bossa' phase, and we know what music that came from that time period.

I remember hearing dad sing Falling Leaves around the house, so as shy as I was I entered my elementary/primary school talent show and performed Falling Leaves much to the delight of my teachers and the complete silence & confusion from my classmates who of course wanted to here the pop music of the day. Ouch!

But I've always loved that song because of how I remember my dad sounding when he sang it, with restraint, straighforward and with a nuance of regret in his tone. So simple and powerful.

I'd be most honored to hear from Fernando and will send a note as well.

Many thanks for connecting all of us together.

Evette

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home