Sunday, November 12, 2006

Edison Blue Amberol Record

( Naar de Nederlandse vertaling.)

In 1973 I started as a 23 year old teacher, fresh from the Rijks Kweekschool ( teacher training college) in Middelburg (Southwest part of the Netherlands), my first job at the Openbare Basisschool ( Public Primary School) De Schakel in Ouderkerk aan den IJssel ( near Rotterdam). Those boys and girls from my first group, at that time 10 years old, grew up and organized a reunion. It was good to learn that they all had great remembrances to this part of their lifes. Thanks Yolande, Yvonne and Henk for organizing!!

I remembered that Yolande's father, Mr. De Graaf, had a record shop and I often visited it. Her father had a great collection of gramophones and phonographs. Some were exhibit in the shop in Krimpen aan den IJssel and I always looked at it with greedy eyes. I was fascinated by this antique audio equipment and I guess I found an excuse in this great collection to buy my first 1927 wind-up Columbia gramophone at the flea market in Rotterdam.

I became interested in those days in jazz and record collecting and visited the Doctor Jazz Reunions in Boskoop, a place not so far from Gouda. I bought an Edison Blue Amberol, recorded somewhere around 1912 as an example of an early sound recording medium. Of course I couldn't play it and I remember I took it to De Graaf's shop. He took his old Edison phonograph, that was displayed in his shop and played my Blue Amberol.

I remember that a tiny voice sung some classical tune and that it fascinated me. It was the only time I heard the music on this Edison Blue Amberol.

I told my remembrances to Yolande and she promissed to forward it to her father.

Thanks to Luis I can listen to this Blue Amberol after 33 years. Thanks Luis.

Wonderful Peace (Rev. W.G. Cooper) - R. Festyn Davies tenor - Edison Blue Amberol 1598 Recorded Nov. 1912.


If you want to see how to play such an old Edison roll, click
here or on the title bar.

Keep swinging
Hans Koert

You can always contact me at keepswinging@live.nl

Nederlands ( To the English translation )

In 1973 begon ik als 23 jarige, vers van de Kweekschool ( nu Pedagogische Academie) in Middelburg ( Rijks Kweekschool) aan mijn eerste baan als onderwijzer op de Openbare Basisschool De Schakel. in Ouderkerk aan den IJssel. De kinderen uit mijn eerste klas, toen een jaar of tien jong, zijn allen volwassen geworden en organiseerden een reunie. Het was goed om te horen hoe het hen sindsdien vergaan is en dat ze alleen maar goede herinneringen aan deze fase van hun leven hadden.

Bedankt voor het organiseren Yolande, Yvonne en Henk !! Het was hartstikke gezellig.

Ik herinnerde me dat de vader van Yolande, meneer de Graaf, een platenzaak had waar ik regelmatig kwam. Hij had een grote collectie gramophoons en phonografen. Ze waren tentoongesteld in zijn winkel in Krimpen aan den IJssel. Ik keek er altijd met begerige ogen naar en was gefascineerd door deze antieke afspeelapparaten. Ik denk dat ik zijn collectie als excuus gebruikte om mijn eerste Columbia koffergramofoon uit 1927 te kopen op de rommelmarkt in Rotterdam


Ik raakte geinteresseerd in jazz en platenverzamelen en bezocht twee maal per jaar de reunies van het Doctor Jazz Magazine in Boskoop, vlak bij Gouda. Daar kocht ik een Edison Blue Amberol, opgenomen rond 1912 als een voorbeeld van een antieke geluidsdrager. Natuurlijk kon ik de rol niet afspelen, dus heb ik het een keer meegenomen naar de winkel van De Graaf. Hij pakte zijn Edison phonograaf, die hij in de winkel had uitgestald, een speelde de rol voor me af. Er stond een zanger op, die met een dun stemmetje, het een of andere klassiek nummer zong. Ik heb sindsdien de muziek op deze Blue Amberol niet meer gehoord.

Ik heb deze herinnering aan Yolande vertelt en ze beloofde het met haar vader te delen.

Dankzij Luis kan ik weer naar deze Blue Amberol luisteren na 33 jaar. Bedankt Luis.

Wonderful Peace (Rev. W.G. Cooper) - R. Festyn Davies tenor - Edison Blue Amberol 1598 Recorded Nov. 1912.

Als je wilt zien hoe je zo'n oude Edison rol afspeelt klik dan
hier of op de titel van deze blog.

Keep swinging
Hans Koert

Je kunt me bereiken op
keepswinging@live.nl


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hans,

There's not much information about R. Festyn Davies. His two Blue
Amberols for Edison1598 and 1628)were released in 1912 and 1913. I
don't have the record slip for his first BA and the second record slip only has notes about the composer. Nothing about Davies. He
evidently was a tenor who recorded light classical selections. If you want to know more about Blue Amberols in general, please see my web site for information about how to purchase my books about Blue Amberol records.

Thanks, Ron Dethlefson

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home