Sunday, November 19, 2006

Stan the Man

( Naar de Nederlandse vertaling.)

Big Band Music on record is not my piece of cake - the sound is too massive for your living room - the different instruments seem to get bogged down to a melting pot of noise.

I have seen several big bands in live performances (I like that ! ), like the Dutch Jazz Orchestra of the Concertgebouw, the Metropole Orchestra, the Dutch Jazz Orchestra and, more then thirty years ago, the Stan Kenton Orchestra.

The big band of Stan Kenton performed on the 2nd of September 1973 in the Doelen in Rotterdam (The Netherlands) and I remember I had one of the more cheaper places, somewhere at the back of the orchestra.
I don't remember much of it, except that the sound was enormous and that the music deeply impressed me.

I remember that I was impressed by Stan the man himself, as his nickname was, sitting behind the piano or walking before the troups, conducting the orchestra with one hand as a tamer of wild animals who stops a herd of rushing elephants.


I always have tried to refind the sound of this concert. I searched for LPs, but I remember that Stan's Creative World series were too expensive for me.
Later I could afford myself a Capitol 2LP titled Stan Kenton - 3 Decades of Big Band Development and in Italy a 3CD box titled Stan Kenton Retrospective.

Last night I played myself the Capitol 2LP set and, sorry 'bout that, I didn't got the thrill I had at the 1973 Kenton concert. It all has to do with the restriction you have at home with your sound equipment.

There was one tune I played several times, titled Lament, a Pete Rugolo composition recorded by Stan Kenton October 1947. The guitar player impressed me, maybe due to the fact that such a fragile sound fits into that huge sound of the band.

This guitar player was Laurindo Almeida, the great Brazilian musician. A great recording.

I found an animated music film that was made around one of Stan´s recordings, titled Congo Valiente. I love to share it with you as an example of Kenton´s Creative World Music

Congo Valiente


Keep swinging

Hans Koert

You can contact me at
keepswinging@live.nl

Nederlands ( To the English translation )

Ik hou niet zo erg van Big Bands op de plaat - het geluid is vaak te massief voor een woonkamer - de verschillende instrumenten vormen al snel één grote brij van lawaai.


Ik heb verschillende big bands live horen optreden (en dat maakt wel indruk), zoals het Jazz Orchestra of the Concertgebouw, het Metropole-orkest, de Dutch Jazz Orchestra and, last but not least, meer dan dertig jaar geleden, het orkest van Stan Kenton.

De big band van Stan Kenton trad op 2 september 1973 op in De Doelen in Rotterdam.


Ik herinner dat ik op één van de goedkopere plekken zat, op de rand achter het orkest. Ik herinner me er niet zoveel meer van, behalve dat het geluid enorm was en dat de muziek indruk maakte.

Ik herinner me dat ik onder de indruk was van het gemak waarmee Stan the Man (zo werd hij genoemd) , dan weer achter de vleugel, dan weer staand voor zijn band, het orkest leidde. Hoe hij, door even zijn hand op te tillen een heel orkest kon stilleggen als een dierentemmer, die een kudde olifanten met één beweging kan stoppen.

Ik heb altijd geprobeerd het geluid van dit concert terug te vinden. Ik ging op zoek nar LPs van Stan Kenton, maar zijn Creative World LPs waren, meen ik me te herinneren, te duur voor me. Ik kocht een dubbel LP van Capitol getiteld Stan Kenton - 3 Decades of Big Band Development en later in Italiè een 3 CD box getiteld Stan Kenton Retrospective.

Gisteren heb ik de dubbel LP weer eens gepakt en, helaas, ik voelde niet die opwinding als tijdens het echte concert. Het heeft uiteraard te maken met de beperkingen die je thuis hebt, zoals de versterker die je niet voluit kan openzetten.


Eén nummer heb ik verschillende keren gespeeld. Het is Lament, een compositie van Pete Rugolo. Stan nam het op in oktober 1947. Ik kwam onder de indruk van de gitaarspeler, die, in het enorme geluid, met zijn breekbare tonen een geweldige spanning kon opbouwen.

Die gitaarspeler bleek niemand minder dan Laurindo Almeida, de grote Braziliaanse gitarist. Een pracht opname.

Ik vond een cartoon op muziek van Stan Kenton. getiteld Congo Valiente, dat ik wil laten zien om een indruk te geven van de muziek van Stan Kenton. Geniet ervan.

Congo Valiente


Keep swinging

Hans Koert

Je kunt me bereiken op
keepswinging@live.nl

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home