Monday, August 21, 2006

Lost Concerts


When I started to create a web site of my own, several years ago, one of the subjects I wanted to share was a list of concerts, related to jazz, I had attended.

I remembered the concert of the Dutch guitar player Thom Kelling in Goes, a small city in the south west part of The Netherlands, to be my first one. It became the first item
1 Oct. 1960

It happend to be a long and still growing list. It was hard to find all information. I learned that I had a weak memory for concerts in the 1960s and 1970s. I was sure that the 1960 Thom Kelling concert had took place at the auditorium of one of the high schools in the city, but the entree ticket learned that it had been at the Prins van Oranje, the local theatre.

I had thought that most of the concert dates could be found easily on the internet or in the archives of the theatres, but ..... not a bit of it. We had seen Art Blakey and his Jazzmessengers at the Doelen in Rotterdam twenty five years ago, I even made slides at that occasion, but no one remembered the concert - nor the Dutch Jazz Archive in Amsterdam, nor the Doelen theatre in Rotterdam. Thanks to a research in local news papers done by the Gemeentelijk Archive in Rotterdam we found a small article about the concert and the date of the concert.

During the 1960s,1970s and 1980s we joined several concerts with my brother and sister-in-law. I learned some times ago that my brother had made a scrap book with all the tickets he had preserved from the concerts, sport events and museums he had visited in the 1960s up to 1980s. This weekend he handed me the ring binder with ...... the Doelen ticket and a lot more information about the lost concerts we had joined together.

I will update my concert list during the next weeks !

Thanks Peter for sharing the scrap book !!

......

What LPs?

Hans

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thom Kelling, Dutch singer/guitarist
Lovely site thanks
If anyone can help I would be very grateful;
I am trying to source music by
Id really appreciate your help.
Thanks
Barry
barrylsack@hotmail.com

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home