Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Ike Quebec


Some records hit you when you play them for the very first time. The Complete Blue Note 45 Sessions of Ike Quebec is such a set, reissued on a 2CD by Blue Note's Connoisseur CD series.

The tracks are all originally recorded on singles for jukebox around 1960 in a period this kind of soul, R&B music became very popular by musicians like Lou Donaldson and Jimmy Smith. The relaxed way Ike plays these tunes on tenor, backed by Hammond, is a style between Coleman Hawkins and the soft touch of Ben Webster. Great music to relax.

Ike Quebec died from lung cancer in 1963 at the age of 45 and left us a small but significant legacy of bop recordings.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

Thanks for calling my attention to this recording.

I have a CD entitled "The Art of Ike Quebec". Quebec was somewhat underated, in my opinion...perhaps because he didn't go in the direction of Coltrane.

Nor I didn't realize how Quebec died, so thank you for that as well.

Respectfully, I have to disagree with your referring to the music as soul, R and B.

Soul and R and B is going to be more stuff like Ray Charles, etc.

Though some organists did cover Charles' music, to me, that just doesn't take them out of the jazz, or soul jazz genre if you will.

McGriff claims to be more Blues oriented, so I guess we'll have to give him that.

Thanks, and I want to check out the rest of your site. That's a good idea to review recordings..

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home